Thursday, February 2, 2012

Onions

While I was at WalMart a week or so ago, I suddenly decided to have a garden this summer. I picked up seed packages for about ten different vegetables before my excitement began to dwindle away. I remembered that I have never had a garden before, only a few potted tomato plants that didn't do so well. I also figured that I would have to fence off a portion of my yard if I wanted to keep Luna from digging up all of the plants. Furthermore, I reminded myself that I am not very good at things which require the same job to be done multiple times over an extended period of time (like housekeeping, or gardening.)

I left WalMart with just four things - strawberry plants, seeds for corn, seeds for peas, and a clump of onion shoots (or whatever they are called). I got them home, started thinking about where I would put them, got stressed out about it (because there are too many choices in our backyard), and left them in a bag by the door.

A few days later, I read something about how you can grow green onions in a cup of water, so the other night I started stripping the little onion shoots of their brown skins and stuck them in a little jar of water. I only did about half of the onions before I quit (I decided to leave some to plant the regular way if I can decide where to put them.)

So that is how my garden is coming along.

Yeah.

1 comment:

  1. the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step (or something like that)....could be the beginning of an avid gardening career :) Mom

    ReplyDelete