Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ramblings


Lots of random thoughts tonight:

-         “It’s a Wonderful Life.” I always cry at the very end when George reads the inscription from Clarence in the book: “No man is a failure who has friends.” I liked the movie when I was little, but I remember the first year that it made me cry. I was surprised, because I had watched it so many times before, but I had never really understood the depth of what it was about. This year it also made me start thinking about how the world would be different if I had never been born. Am I living life in such a way that my absence would cause a noticeable difference?

-         “Dr. Who: The Big Bang.” I think it has surpassed “Blink” as my favorite episode of Dr. Who ever. The character of Amelia Pond is brilliant, and of course it would be her part that I like the best in this episode:
Amy: Sorry everyone, but when I was a kid, I had an imaginary friend, the Raggedy Doctor, my Raggedy Doctor. But he wasn't imaginary, he was real.
I remember you! I remember! I brought the others back; I can bring you home too! Raggedy man, I remember you! And you are late for my wedding!
I found you; I found you in words just like you knew I would; that's why you told me the story, the brand new, ancient blue box. Oh clever, oh very clever.
Rory: Amy, what is it?
Amy: Something old. Something new. Something borrowed. Something blue.



-         Family: My parents and brother are with my Grandma, and they were here yesterday. So near, so far at the same time. If I could choose any super power in the world, it would be teleporting.

-         Luna’s allergies are kicking in again. Now her eyes are all dug up.

-         I’m super excited to go to Ha Ha Tonka State Park on Saturday. Yes, it really is called that.

-         Violins are my most favorite instrument in the world.

-         A couple of days ago, I was pulling out an old photo that my Grandma wanted back from me. I took it to Wal-mart to make a darker copy of it, and I was telling Josh and Ben about it. I told them it was of a soldier and I strained my brain to remember what his last name was, and I came up with “Winters.” Josh asked, “Dick Winters?” And I said yes. Josh said, “Nah-uh.” And I said, “Yes. Well, I think his last name is Winters. I know his first name is Dick, because he signed the picture. Why?”
Josh explained that Dick Winters was the guy from “Band of Brothers,” and the three of us spent the next couple of hours Googling Dick Winters and comparing pictures, trying to figure out if it was the same guy (since it turned out that Dick Winters was from Pennsylvania.) It wasn’t until the next morning that I remembered that his last name was “Peters” not “Winters,” but we had a fun time with it for a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment