Thursday, December 9, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Ever since I was little, I’ve enjoyed the thought of making Christmas gifts for people. Maybe it was my obsession with Little House on the Prairie, maybe it was the fact that we lived overseas and didn’t have the overabundance of stuff that there was available here. Whatever the reason, I am in love with the idea of making people gifts for Christmas.

Not that I ever do it. I remember one year as a kid thinking that I could use the cool animal pictures on yogurt cups to make some kind of gift, or maybe advent calendar. (I don’t know why I have this obsession with reusing yogurt cups, but there you have it.)

I don’t think that I have actually ever succeeded at making a gift for anyone for Christmas. I tried to last year. I was going to make a Dr. Who scarf for Josh that would look something like this:


Now, I did get started. The scarf I am making is about a foot wide and by Christmas it was at half of my desired length of twelve feet. Today it is at about six and a half feet long…

I did make some purses this year. I wasn’t intending to use them for Christmas gifts, but I’m going to send at least one to my Grandma. These are some of the purses I made: (The orange one on the bottom is the one I’m giving to my grandmother.





I think I’m pretty good at coming up with good ideas for gifts. I’m not always great at following through and getting them. Usually I think of a great gift a couple of months before Christmas, then I get busy and forget about it until it is too late.

Most years I think it’s difficult to get gifts for Josh, but this year, I’m about done shopping for his gifts. I got every single one of his gifts online, and that made it much easier.

Along the way, I found some other very cool ideas for Christmas gifts. Here are just a few:

Some jewelry I think is pretty cool: 
(Rings of Power)

(I'm kind of getting into the whole steam punk thing.)

(I like trees... what can I say?)


And some jewelry from books/movies/tv shows:

(Firefly)

(The Elder Wand, the Resurrection Stone, the Invisibility Cloak)

(From the "Blink" episode of Dr. Who... my favorite.)


 Things to hang:
(You can get this in any color you want...)

(Yay! I love this!)

(Especially if you have guests coming...)


 Things to wear:


(I'm pretty sure the whole poem is there.)
 
(They're hairpins!!!)

 And some final randomness:

(Apple Snitch)


(It's caffeinated shower gel.)

(So everyone thinks you're a ninja.)


Happy gift-buying everybody! I'm off to knit a scarf...




No comments:

Post a Comment