Sunday, December 11, 2011

Itchy Feet, Part Two: The Dark Side

I love going to new places. I really do. But there are downsides to moving every few years. Obviously there are always the inconveniences of moving - finding a new place, finding a new job, switching all of your information, closing accounts, opening accounts, etc. But there are some deeper issues as well:

1. Financial - Moving costs a lot. Especially the moves we make, which tend to be across the country.

2. Friends - I am constantly having to make new ones. And I don't make friends easily. It takes me a while to even feel comfortable enough with people just to hang out with them. It takes even longer to find anyone that I truly love as a friend. Since high school ten years ago, I've had two. And I left both of them around a year after we really started being good friends.

3. Jobs - While sometimes we move somewhere in order to get new jobs, I feel like I am always starting at the bottom, again. You can't build up a strong record at your job when you keep leaving it after just a few years.

4. Church - I hate looking for a church. You have to go and meet new people, all who really try to be friendly and open, and who should. But refer to my number 2. Also, finding a church where you can really feel comfortable gets harder and harder the more Bible and theology classes  your husband has had.

5. Starting Over - This kind of applies to all areas. While it can be a good thing in some ways, it is also really hard. You have to prove yourself over and over again. You have to show people who you are. You have to be vulnerable with  new acquaintances. It's a hard position to be in so frequently.

So there you have it. Before you decide to start hopping around the country, take a minute to decide if it is really worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment