Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oranges

I love oranges. I have so many memories that have to do with oranges. Also, I'm really, really tired right now, so this will be a bit rambly.

We always used to eat a ton of oranges during the winter when I was little. So now, winter means that we should eat oranges. Whenever I eat one, I think of my mom, peeling them for us as we sat around doing whatever we did.

Also, I remember doing so many different things with oranges. Eating them (obviously). We also used to put the peels in a pan of water along with spices and set it on top of the heater so that yummy orangey smell filled the house. We used to put cloves in them so that they wouldn't go bad and would smell good. We made candy out of the peels one year. I also remember grating the peels off of oranges (I think that's called zesting???) but I don't remember what we used it for. I do remember cranberry sauce with orange peel bits in it. Yum.

Anyhow, all of that to say, I really like oranges. Oh yeah, we used to make "fireworks" with the peels. If you squeeze the peels to make the juice fly out next to a candle, all of the little squirts will catch on fire and "sparkle." Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment