Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sleepwalkers

I have lived with four different people who sleepwalked. All of my siblings sleepwalked, and my husband did once, a long time ago.

My sister, Gina, was the first one. She was about nine when she had her adventure. She walked into my parents' bedroom, started tossing books around and declared that she was going to build a computer before turning around and going back to bed.

My brother, Jordan, was next. He walked right up to my bed, said something about dogs barking, and turned around. I didn't quite hear what he said, so I called him. He turned around and walked back to my bed. He repeated his line about the dogs then went back to his room. I think he attempted to sleepwalk several other times, but Jordan slept on the top bunk and most of his attempts at sleepwalking just ended with him falling out of bed. Several times we were all woken up by a yell, then a sort of splat as he hit the tile floor. Then moaning.

My little brother, Ben, sleepwalked a LOT. Most of it he did after I had left home, but I saw him a couple of times when I went home right before my wedding. He would come downstairs and sit down with us, even talk. Jordan would yell at him to go back to bed, and he would stand up and go back. The first time I told Jordan to quit yelling at Ben, but Jordan told me he was fast asleep, and the next morning Ben didn't remember any of it.

Josh has only sleepwalked once, although he talks a lot in his sleep and sometimes sits up. The time he sleepwalked, we'd been dating for just a few months and I went with him to Montana. It was around midnight, and he opened the door to the room where I was sleeping, walked in and said something about getting away from someone, then turned around and left.

After all of these experiences, all I can say about sleepwalking is that it is creepy. It's almost like someone you don't know has taken over your sibling/husband's body and you are not quite sure what they are going to do. At least none of them peed in a closet.

1 comment: